Works of fiction appearing here are © 2011-2016 by Jack H. Tyler, and are not to be assumed to lie in the public domain.
Any reproduction of this material is prohibited without the express written permission of the author.

Thursday, September 15, 2016

Coming Home

          They say you can't go home again, yet here I am.  I just need to blow the dust off the furniture *cough cough* and knock down those cobwebs, and I'll be all set.  A bit of background would be in order.  I began blogging here on Blogger back in 2010.  Jack's Hideout was my second site, and this takes me back to the carefree, innocent days of meeting Nicole Vulcan, and the Nerd Lunch crew.  Back then I hadn't been published, and had left all such thoughts far behind.  I drifted away for the bright lights and fancy bells and whistles of the Weebly provider, self-published my steampunk epic, and conducted all my book business over there with their simple interface and killer fonts.  And then I got an Email telling me that they were hooking up with something called Scribd, whatever that is, that Scribd would be carrying everything I posted there on their site as well, and that beginning October 15th, I would be subject to Scribd's Terms of Service.
          Unlike almost anyone else on earth, I opened them up and read them.  Behold Clause 6:

"6. GRANT OF LICENSE TO SCRIBD IN USER CONTENT

          By uploading User Content via the Scribd Platform, you hereby grant to Scribd a worldwide, non-exclusive, transferable, assignable, fully paid-up, royalty-free, license (with the right to grant and authorize sublicenses) to host, transfer, display, perform, reproduce, distribute, compress or convert for distribution, monetize, charge money for, restrict access to view, restrict access to download, advertise against, and otherwise exploit Your User Content, in any media formats and through any media channels, in order to publish and promote such User Content in connection with services offered or to be offered by Scribd. Such license will apply to any form, media, or technology now known or hereafter developed. Whether your content is uploaded under the free access or paid access terms, you grant Scribd the right to restrict access to view or to download your content (for example, without limitation, to paying users) and to charge users for access to your content, subject to certain configuration options provided to you by Scribd, Subject to the terms and limitations set forth herein, you may terminate this grant of license to Scribd as to any specific piece of User Content by removing or deleting that piece of User Content from the Scribd Platform; provided, however, that it is understood and agreed that Scribd may retain a copy of any User content as necessary to make it available to any other user who has paid for that access, and provided further that Scribd may, but is not required to, retain indefinitely a copy of any User Content for archival purposes."

          I'm no lawyer.  I read stuff like this and simply see what it says in English, and what this says to me is that anything I post there becomes their property to do with what they will.  After careful consideration, I have decided to decline the offer to trust an anonymous, largely unaccountable corporate entity with my created and copyrighted material, and so I am back on Blogger.  This is the new digs, folks.  Anyone wanting to follow needs to bookmark this site.  I'll need to rearrange the furniture, and bring in a few new pieces, but this is, with the exception of a few details, the final appearance.  I have several samples at my Weebly site that will be migrating over here within the next couple of weeks, and soon nothing will be left there but a link to my new, old address.
          Looking back through the posts, you can see that I was just blogging about anything that took my fancy, and having some fun into the bargain.  Now I will be blogging almost exclusively about writing, the Craft, the methods, the peripheral items that come with it, a lot like the old blog, but without agreeing to let my provider steal it.
          This represents a new start for me, and as I turn over this fresh page, I promise you that I'm going to try to leave behind my doubts about my own ability.  I have in the past aggravated my readers something awful with my frequent expressions of self-doubt.  I am no big-time author, and have no huge collection of reviews, but the ones I do have are uniformly good, and I have no reason to think my skills are lacking.  Beyond the Rails was nominated last month for a Metamorph Publishing Summer Indie Book Award.  It didn't win, but it has officially been noticed by the literary world.  In short, my readers have confidence in me; now it's time for me to have some confidence in myself.
          I have a considerable amount of material to move over here, and it will necessitate setting up pages, and probably things I haven't thought of yet.  I'm going to take my time and get everything just the way I want it, and then we'll begin this new phase of the journey together.  Meanwhile, come in and sit a spell.  You may have to sit on a packing crate and drink your coffee from an old tin can, but I promise you warm companionship and friendly conversation.  Anyone who would like to check out the old site, and the posts that are being left behind, can find it at http://steampunkjack.weebly.com/blog.  And until I get this new endeavor up and rolling, remember to get out there and live life like you mean it!

~ "Blimprider"

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Welcome to my humble hideout, Mrs. C! Drop in from time to time; I can only promise my best efforts to make it interesting.

      Delete