Works of fiction appearing here are © 2011-2017 by Jack H. Tyler, and are not to be assumed to lie in the public domain.
Any reproduction of this material is prohibited without the express written permission of the author.

Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Saving a Carnivore, Part II

          Okay, I am back from my appointment, and as anyone who knows me already knows, there were problems.  They used the home version of the traction machine to stretch my neck today, and trained my daughter and me on its use, but they want to do another week of observation before they actually let me take it home.  That's all right, I can live with that, but we're here, of course, to talk about my little bug-eating plant...  There were problems.
          The lousy soil these things live in in the wild is approximated by a 50-50 mix of peat moss and perlite.  We stopped on the way home only to find that both these items are sold in 2-liter bags, one of which retails for $9.95, and the other for $6.95.  $17.00 and tax seems a little steep to provide life support for a $3.00 plant, so it was determined to work with what we have for now.
          The first thing I did when I got home was to get him out of his mailing tube and trim the dead bits; there will always be some after shipping.  With that done, he looked much happier, even being in his little plastic pot, which is a good thing, because he's going to be there for a while.  He does have plenty of healthy traps, and by happy coincidence, we have plenty of healthy fruit flies this fine summer season.  What we need to do is introduce the two, and that seems as easy as bringing them together.
          The next issue is the terrarium globe that I have available.  Due to the height of the pot, it is, at five inches, just a speck too small for him to spread out in comfort, and you will see in the picture that the tallest stalks inside are touching the roof.  I'm not about to mess with the pot, and the soil provided by the original seller, so the globe will have to be replaced with a larger one.  I'm thinking an eight-inch to allow room for him to grow.  I have a birthday coming up in just over three weeks, and I added a globe to my wish list.  I'm thinking that will be done, because everyone wants to see this little guy make it.
          In the meantime, I have put the pot in the globe I have, surrounded it with model landscaping material, and hung it under the bar with the open side toward the kitchen.  I fully expect him to be fine until I can get him a bigger house, especially after the flies find him!  Which may have happened already.  Two of the traps are closed.  I can't really tell if there's anything in them, and I don't have an  accurate fly census at this point.  It's possible that I set them off during the move, but I'd swear they were open when I hung him up.
          Anyway, time will tell.  I'm going to do everything in my power to help this little guy thrive, 'cause there's just something about a meat-eating plant that seems to compliment my personality.  You might say that I've found my perfect pet!  I sure hope he makes it.  We have plenty of heat here, which they like, and being this near the ocean, the humidity is high enough most of the time.  Bugs to eat?  Check!  What could go wrong?
          I'll keep you posted.

~ Jack

No comments:

Post a Comment